Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Ernest

On the LibraryThing home page there is an interesting "On This Day" feature.  It is a very long list of births and deaths coinciding with the current date.  I like day books and almanacs so this is a resource I will definitely use.

In mapping out the schedule for this blog, I designated Tuesday as a day to talk about Fiction.  On LibraryThing I see that Ernest Hemingway was born on July 21, 1899.



Happy Birthday Ernest!  Don't you look spiffy sitting in your Paris apartment!

Some may remember him best for this book:


It has been years since I read "The Old Man and the Sea".  The back cover of this Scribner paperback says "Written in 1952, this hugely successful novella confirmed his power and presence in the literary world and played a large part in his winning the 1954 Nobel Prize for Literature.  My English Composition instructor told our class that "The Old Man and the Sea" is the most perfectly written novel in the English language. She said there is not a single grammatical error in the entire book.  I do not know if this is really true, but it sounds pretty impressive.

We will be visiting Ernest again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment