Thursday, January 7, 2016

A Rare Opportunity, The Huntington, and Reading Updates


The Bard

We are fortunate to live near a university town. World class art, drama, music, book shops, restaurants, and more are just a 30 minute drive from home. And now, we  have a very rare opportunity to view a Shakespeare "First Folio" at the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art located on the campus of the University of Oregon. The exhibit is ongoing through February 7, 2016.

If you live nearby, please do visit. If you do not, here is an article from our local newspaper about the exhibit and a link to the museum.

Register-Guard

Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art

One of the great art and rare book collections in the world is in San Marino, California -- The Huntington.


Library and Grounds at the Huntington

I think I have seen a Shakespeare "First Folio" once before. I say "I think" because it was ages ago during a visit to the Huntington Library. I for sure remember seeing a Gutenberg Bible and Audubon's The Birds of America and have a niggling memory of strolling past the Shakespeare. Let's say I was a bit less aware of what was really important back in the day. Here is another link to the Huntington. Scroll down to see information about the major works on permanent display at the library. There is also an Art Museum and a lovely Botanical Garden at the Huntington. If you are ever in the L.A. area, schedule a visit to this wonderful place.

2016 Reading Update:

Finished reading:
Rose Cottage by Mary Stewart

Currently reading:
Pepys' Diary - 1668
The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather from my 2016 Reading Challenge
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (also from the 2016 Reading Challenge)
The Fairy Tale Girl by Susan Branch (more about this book when I am finished)

Audio Books Update:

During my recuperation I have spent many hours listening to audio books (mostly cosy mysteries and romances set in England because I find them very relaxing) while knitting, crocheting, doing Sudoku puzzles, etc. Here are the books I have listened to in 2016:

Finished:
The School at Thrush Green by Miss Read
Celebrations at Thrush Green also by Miss Read

Current listening:
That Summer by Lauren Willig

I should say that I plan to read more than 16 books in 2016. The Reading Challenge is focused on books I have had in my TBR stack for way too long. I hope to read or listen to at least 40+ books in 2016. I need to get with it or I will never finish all the books I have in the time I have left on this good earth!!!

My cousin just published his first novel, and it is coming in today's mail!!! Add another one to my TBR stack! See you next time...












No comments:

Post a Comment