Friday, September 4, 2015

The Ulysses Project


James Joyce
(February 1882 - January 1941)

Not much has been going on here at Road Map headquarters. It has been a low-energy week. I have been inching up Mt. Ulysses with Frank Delaney, now on page 18. I know, it does not seem like progress, but you would not believe how much Joyce packs into one line of text. Sometimes into just one word. However, since I do not plan to devote the next year to The Ulysses Project, I will need to speed things up. Delaney's podcast is weekly, and he has about 275 episodes up on his blog, so I can move ahead with resolve until I have caught up with Frank. Then, I will be on my own with whatever commentary I can find to assist.

There is a lot to say but I am going to let it keep until I know more about Joyce and this wonderful book. Note the Aegean Blue cover.  Nothing is simple with Joyce. Think about the waters Ulysses sailed to reach his home in Ithaca.


1922 First Edition

Here are some more pictures of Joyce and Joyce-related things.


James Joyce


Sylvia Beach and James Joyce
Shakespeare & Co. Bookstore in Paris


James Joyce, Sylvia Beach, Adrienne Monnier
Shakespeare & Co. Bookstore


 James Joyce Pub Award


Joyce Statue, Dublin


Joyce Statue, Trieste


Joyce Statue
Szombathely, Hungary


Joyce Statue and
Grave in Zurich, Switzerland


Bloomsday Festivities

  

2 comments:

  1. Would love to take a tour of the James Joyce pubs in Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'll need your synapse to have any sort of clue about this book ;-)

    ReplyDelete